Saturday, June 5, 2010

Comics Roundup for 6/2/10

Not much this week, but here goes:

Avengers: Prime #1 (of 6) - While there certainly seems to be a lot of "Heroic Age" filler on the stands lately, I picked this one up for a few reasons. First of all, Alan Davis is drawing it, and I buy pretty much everything he does. Secondly, Brian Michael Bendis is writing it, so it's obviously an important enough of a project to get the main Avengers writer on board for it. Thirdly, this is a story that actually needs to be told. In Avengers #1, we have Steve Rogers, Thor, and Iron Man getting along well enough. Sure, Iron Man feels a bit out of place considering all that's gone down with the last few crossovers, but there really isn't much that deals with the friction that absolutely must exist amongst these three. In other words, this was a story that needed to be told, and considering that I like the fact that Avengers #1 wasted no time getting to the superheroic fare, I have no problem with them dealing with this in a miniseries.

So far, it's pretty good. There are definitely some problems with these guys. Thor's attitude is somewhat muted from what you might expect, but considering that Iron Man pitched in to help during the Siege of Asgard, it's understandable that he's not quite willing to jump all over Iron Man's case about what happened during the whole Superhero Civil War. However, this isn't going to be six issues of talking, as the three heroes instantly get transported to different "worlds" of Norse mythology. Could I have settled for a six issue series with these guys arguing and discussing? Sure. But this is superhero comics, and action comes along with the genre. Hopefully the characterization won't take a back seat though.

Brightest Day #3 - This was interesting enough, but honestly, I don't remember much of what happened. I know that Deadman had to confront the Anti-Monitor, and that was actually a pretty good bit. The whole thing with Firestorm is interesting enough, even though I don't have a whole lot of history with the character. I still am intrigued by Aquaman's plight. Will I see this series through to the end? Considering that it comes out twice a month, we'll have to wait and see.

I, Zombie #2 - You know it's a bad sign when you're on the second issue, and you can't quite keep track of all the characters. I liked the bit about how the main character would absorb the memories of the people whose brains she has eaten (she doesn't kill them - she gets them at the cemetery). Still, this issue also had some vampires, and was that a mummy of some kind? I couldn't keep up, and I need an excuse to drop anything that doesn't really interest me. The only plus was Mike Allred's artwork.

No comments: