Sunday, July 11, 2010

Comics Roundup for 7/8/10

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #1 (of 4) - I told myself, since I'm trying to cut back on expenses, that I was going to pass on this particular series. What can I say? It's Ed Brubaker writing the continuing adventures of Steve Rogers, and this was yet another great installment since he took over the character several years ago now. The set-up is pretty good, which involves the descendant of the scientist who invented the Super Soldier serum. Apparently, he's trying to sell the serum to America's enemies, and that's what sends Rogers after him. There are lots of twists and turns though, and everything is apparently a lot more complicated than that once you get to the end of the issue. I should also note that while I have not liked Dale Eaglesham's art in the past, he did a nice job on this issue, the fight between Rogers and the faux super soldiers being a highlight. I guess I'll have to cut something else later. (I regrettably had to pass on the second issue of that new Tom Strong series. Hopefully I can pick up the trade in the future for cheap.)

Hellboy: The Storm #1 (of 3) - While I have liked both of the replacement artists for this character, I have to say that I have a bit of a preference for Duncan Fegredo, and this issue confirmed that. This continues to be a great series of miniseries that's only gotten stronger since Hellboy's first appearance. It continues the whole "last descendant of King Arthur" angle that was introduced a while back, and it looks like all sorts of dead English noblemen are rising from the grave. Also, there's your typically cool Hellboy versus a big monster fight sequence.

The Amazing Spider-Man #636 - I was intrigued when they brought back Kaine, the defective clone of Peter Parker. I have to say that I'm really glad that he's back now that they've given him something important to do. As of now, it looks like he won't survive to make another appearance, and I'm really hoping that's not the case. That's when you know that a death in a story means something - when you wish that it didn't happen. Also, I'm glad that somebody pointed out that maybe Kraven the Hunter didn't want to be resurrected - considering that he put a gun to his own head and all.

Batman and Robin #13 - Grant Morrison gives us another intriguing, although somewhat confusing, chapter in the story of Dick Grayson as Batman. It looks like the Black Hand, who nearly defeated Batman in RIP, is back, and this time Bruce Wayne's nowhere around to deal with him. I'm thinking that I'm due for a complete re-reading of everything that's come so far. I'd better do that soon, as Logan might not give me the time. (Although I might be reading some comics out loud to him when I'm trying to calm him down so he'll go to sleep.)

No comments: