Thursday, June 23, 2011

Comics Roundup for 6/22/11

Uncle Scrooge: The Mysterious Stone Ray and Cash Flow - Even though with all the upcoming reprints from Kaboom! and Fantagraphics I'll probably wind up with these two stories, I thought I'd pick this book up anyway to get myself a quick Disney fix. The first story is a Carl Barks tale, and the second is one by Don Rosa, which follows up on some plot threads from the previous tale. I really wish that these were more popular in this country, as this is the kind of stuff that parents need to be giving their children. It has great characters, well-written plots, and a lot of words that will build a kid's vocabulary. Most importantly, it's a fun read with all sorts of goofy ideas like an inventor who devotes his life to trying to remove the smell from boiled cabbage and a ray that eradicates the conservation of momentum. Seriously, if you're a parent and you're not giving this to your kid, you hate them. (And if you're a fan of comics, you'll pick it up for yourself.)

Rocketeer Adventures - I'm picking up this series on an issue-by-issue basis, and when I saw that this issue featured the talents of Mark Waid, Darwyn Cooke, and Gene Ha (all on different stories) I had to pick it up. It is a shame that there aren't more Rocketeer stories from his creator, Dave Stevens, but this isn't such a bad substitute.

Wolverine #11 - We get some more motivations from the villains and just like any well-told episode of serialized entertainment, the stakes get raised yet again when Dakken, Wolverine's son, gets involved in this mess. This continues to be one of my favorite series.

Captain America #619 - Maybe I need to sit down and read a bunch of issues in a row again, but I found myself underwhelmed by the end of this issue. Basically, this is the last issue with Bucky, as it takes place right before he gets a big hole blasted through his chest in Fear Itself. I guess I just feel pretty invested in this character, and it would have been great to see him do at least one more awesome thing as Captain America before he gets replaced by the original Cap. I'm hoping that there's more to all of this before we get back to a Steve Rogers-led Captain America title.

Carnage - This story suffers from what a lot of story arcs do. It started off really cool and filled with promise, but it just kind of fizzled out at the end here. Looks like Cletus Cassidy is officially back, and there are some more characters that can be used in the Spider-Man universe. Also, it's setting things up for a new Carnage series, but I'm not so sure that I'll be picking that one up.

No comments: