Saturday, October 29, 2011

Comics Roundup for 10/26/11

I, Vampire #2 - I liked this one well enough (mostly for the art) to at least pick up the next issue.  However, I'll need to see a bit more momentum in the story if I'm to keep with it.  I still feel like I'm reading set-up with this, and I'm just not into vampires enough for that to remain interesting to me.

Superman #2 - I read this right before going to bed last night, so I had a weird dream about it, and I'm probably remembering stuff from the dream better than what happened.  Anyway, a lot of story got packed into this issue, and that's a good thing.  Also, I really think that this new direction for Superman is smart.  He's still very true to the concept, but he has the world against him without turning him into a Peter Parker knockoff.

Aquaman #2 - I would have liked to have seen more story in this one, but it was still pretty good with Ivan Reis doing the artwork.  Geoff Johns is definitely making the character interesting without giving him a faux edginess that would have ruined him.  It's somewhat reminiscent of the way Mark Waid wrote him in JLA:  Year One in the sense that he's clearly an outsider, and who doesn't root for an outsider?  Those jerks on Wall Street, that's who!  Oh, wait...sorry about that.

Captain America & Bucky #623 - Not much new to say from the last issue.  This continues to be a fun direction for this series, and I'm still pretty much convinced that there's no way that they're leaving Bucky dead after spending this much time with him - even if they are flashbacks.

The Amazing Spider-Man #672 - If this issue doesn't convince you that undoing the Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson wedding is a good thing, then nothing will.  Seriously, this had one of my favorite moments in a Spider-Man comic in a long time, and there is no way it would work if the two of them were still married.  And get this - the scene INVOLVES Mary Jane.  As far as I'm concerned, the two of them WILL get back together and marry again some day, but I have no interest in reading that story.

Daredevil #5 - This was another fun chapter, and I don't have any other input than to repeat that Mark Waid has really found the right tone for this book, and Marcos Martin's artwork is always appreciated.

The Flash #2 - This was pretty interesting and filled with the kind of high-concept plot point that I'd expect from a Grant Morrison comic book.  Impressive, considering that the writing team is better known for their art.  If The Flash can move fast, why can't he also THINK fast?  That's a good question, and they explore the fact that he CAN in this issue.  The last couple of pages were a bit confusing, but I liked the rest to want to check out the next issue.

Wolverine and the X-Men #1 - I bought this because I'm enjoying Jason Aaron's take on Logan over in Wolverine.  This was a fairly enjoyable issue, and it definitely is a new situation for the character.  I liked it enough to at least check out the next issue, but I haven't read an X-Men book on any regular basis in years.

Batman:  The Dark Knight #2 - Meh.  This was okay, but compared to Batman and Batman and Robin, it's pretty weak.  Maybe it just suffers by comparison.  I'm on board for at least another issue. 

No comments: