Friday, April 6, 2012

Comics Roundup for 4/4/12

Wolverine and the X-Men #8 - For some reason, I thought that this would be the tie-in to Avengers Versus X-Men, but it wasn't.  Oh well.  This one saw the return of Sabertooth, and in this one he was giving grief to Beast instead of Wolverine.  I like Chris Bachalo's pencils for the most part, but sometimes his layouts can be a bit confusing.  I didn't exactly get how Beast finally beat Sabertooth.  I suppose I could if I felt like studying the panels, but you shouldn't have to do that.  Anyway, a decent issue, and I'm looking forward to next month's tie-in.

Daredevil #10.1 - A student of mine once pointed out that I didn't write a whole lot on his A paper.  I told him that's because when an essay is good, there's not much to say about it other than it was good.  That's kind of how I'm feeling with this series.  And if you're looking for more detailed praise, I'm sure you can find plenty of it online, as this title seems to be the critical darling lately.

Fatale #4 - I'm going to wait for a few more issues before I sit down to read this one.

Avengers Versus X-Men #1 - Am I the only fan who doesn't whine about "event fatigue"?  Sure, I'll criticize them when they're not done very well, but so long as I'm getting my money's worth, I'm good with them.  This was a pretty entertaining read, and even though it's just the beginning and didn't get too in-depth, it certainly set up enough interesting ideas to keep me reading.

The Amazing Spider-Man #683 - Spidey tries to be all Odysseus-like and plan five steps ahead.  It works a bit, but Doc Ock seems to be about seven steps ahead of that.  Anyway, much like with Daredevil, there just isn't much to say when I'm enjoying a series as much as this one.

Action Comics #8 - And...I'm done.  While the last issue seemed to be a bit more interesting, I have officially lost interest in this "New 52" title.  And to think that this was the one that I had the highest hopes for.  Oh well.  I guess part of it has to do with the fact that Geoff Johns did a far more interesting Braniac story just a few years ago.  Another part is that they can't seem to get Rags Morales to draw an entire issue himself, so the artwork is totally uneven.  Well, can't say I didn't give this one a proper chance.

Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus Volume 2 - I picked up the first volume in hardcover some time ago, and by the time I finally finished reading it, I was ready for the second one.  Well, guess what?  It was going for over a hundred bucks!  I figured that I'd just have to forget about it until I learned that they were going to do all four volumes in trade paperback, so that's why I picked up this one and plan to get the others.  Plus, the $30 price tag for the softcover is much easier on the wallet than the $50 tag on the hardcovers.  What can I say about Jack Kirby that hasn't already been said?  The guy was a mad genius.  Not all of his ideas are good, and not all of his stories are good.  In fact, sometimes his artwork is downright awkward looking.  But one thing it absolutely NEVER is, is boring.  The guy threw every idea he had down on to the page, and most of them were winners.

No comments: