Sunday, March 3, 2013

Comics Roundup for 2/27/13

Punisher War Zone #4 & 5 - I missed the last issue of this series, but luckily there was still a copy in stock so I could have the complete story.  Overall, this was a decent miniseries, and it was fun to watch Frank take Tony Stark down a notch or two.  Nothing great, but it was entertaining.

Hawkeye #8 - Here's a question - is this really a superhero comic book?  Just like how the current Wonder Woman and Thor series are more along the lines of fantasy/sci-fi, this series almost reads like what Ed Brubaker was doing with Criminal.  Sure, it has some of the trappings of comic book superheroes, and you have a character who's a crime-fighter, but where's his costume?  His secret ID?  Hawkeye is definitely a superhero in the pages of The Avengers, but in this book, Matt Fraction is doing something different - and it works.  I never thought I'd still be getting this book by this point, but I'll get 100 issues of it if it maintains this level of quality.

Batman, Inc. #8 - Even if the Internet didn't spoil the death of Damien Wayne, the cover basically does the same thing.  Is he really dead though?  I've been reading comics too long to understand why the online comics media seems to be taking this at face value.

Uncanny Avengers #4 - Even though I might be on the fence when it comes to the main Avengers book, I'm still pretty enthused about this one.  Rick Remender is really doing a good job of giving every member of the team a clear purpose - even Thor, who I might have thought didn't fit.

Avenging Spider-Man #17 - I'm glad I stuck with this series.  This was another fun installment, and it's good to see that they're playing up the Ock/Spider-Man mind switch for all its worth.  And not that we expected this to last, but it's nice to get confirmation from time travelers that this will have an end.

Uncanny X-Men #2 - Nothing great, but a solid read here, and I'm looking forward to seeing them mix it up with the Avengers next issue.  I also like how Chris Bachalo is reigning in his art style a bit.  He's definitely talented, but sometimes he goes a little too crazy and the storytelling is hard to follow.  Perhaps he just works best with Bendis?

No comments: