Sunday, January 4, 2009

Anti-oxidants - it's gone too far

I wrote about diet crazes and the near cult-like behavior that they cause some time ago in this entry. I wrote about the "no carb" obsession and the more current anti-oxidant fever that's sweeping the nation.

In that article, I said that things had gotten out of hand when mayonnaise had "Zero Carbs!" stickers on them. Now that I think of it, the thing that really showed that things had gone too far was when Kentucky Fried Chicken had a commercial that implied that eating a bucket of their greasy chicken was good for you because it had no carbs. Shortly after that, you just didn't hear about the carb thing nearly as much as you did before that. (Although nothing can seem to completely kill it.)

But I think that I've finally seen the ultimate in the anti-oxidant silliness. I was at the in-laws and there was a bottle of ketchup on the table. The sticker on it praised ketchup as a source of anti-oxidants. Okay, we've gone overboard.

Be sure to eat your hot dog without the bun and with a LOT of ketchup. But wait, ketchup has carbs! Holy crap! What a dilemma. I think I'll eat mine on a bun - with mustard.

No comments: