Friday, November 13, 2009

Comics Roundup for 11/11/09

A bit of a disappointing week that was made up for by one of the best Hellboy stories ever. Here goes:



Batman #693 - I thought that was The Reaper (the main villain from the underrated Batman: Year Two) at the end of the last issue. While this issue did confirm it, there wasn't a whole lot going on with that particular plot point. Aside from that, this issue really dabbled in a lot of Paul Dini's territory by featuring Hush and The Riddler - and it seems like The Riddler is going to be returning to his old ways. I suppose that was inevitable, but I liked the idea of The Riddler as a PI, but they may have just used up all those story possibilities.

Batman and Robin #6 - I recently read all of the first five issues in a row, and I found myself enjoying them tremendously. Then I went and read this one and felt a bit disappointed. I'm starting to think that Grant Morrison's work kinda stinks in small installments. I'm going to let this series go a few more issues and then read a bunch of them in a row again.



The Amazing Spider-Man #611 - Fun cover, crappy comic. I suppose that Joe Kelly's story was just fine, and there were some amusing moments, but the artwork was so annoying and distracting that this felt like a real chore to read. I'm glad that this was just a one-off story, and hopefully whoever they have for the next story arc will do a better job. I hate to say it, but this series hasn't exactly had the best art lately, which is sad because it had some really stellar stuff when the whole "Brand New Day" thing started.

Daredevil #602 - Nothing really stands out about this one, but it was a solid installment in what continues to be a good series. I'm also starting to appreciate Roberto de la Torre's artwork a lot more with this issue. Anyway, I like this whole plot twist with Daredevil leading the Hand, but I hope that it doesn't go on too long. I'd like to see what things Andy Diggle can throw at DD that are entirely his own, considering that this plot point was introduced by the previous writer.



Hellboy: The Wild Hunt #8 (of 8) - Before reading this, I went ahead and read the entire series. This was easily one of the better Hellboy story arcs. There was definitely a lot of new stuff revealed about him, and the stakes have been raised as to his eternal dilemma as to whether he should fulfill his destiny as the harbinger of the end of the world or not. It turns out that it's all a lot more complicated than that, and he has a few more options than just being Mr. Destruction or not - but one way or another, he's gotta do something. The only bad thing is that this story doesn't resolve that, so I'm eagerly awaiting the next series. Also, I have mentioned several times that Duncan Fegredo has been a decent replacement for Mike Mignola's art. Right now, I'm at the point where even though I'd welcome a return of Mignola (as I seem to recall reading that he's returning to comics full time) I think that I'd actually miss Fegredo. Oh well, hopefully I can follow his work on another title.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you liked this Hellboy - I REALLY enjoyed #8. The Wild Hunt has been good throughout, but there was something I couldn't quite put my finger on. With the closer (in number, at least), I finally got it: It's a different kind of HB story.

For the last few arcs, they've been revealing back mythology, and that's great, but it almost felt to me like we were spending a lot of time in the past without really going anywhere, well, now (a little like last season of Venture Brothers). With this one, I'm feeling some momentum to go with background. I always enjoy Hellboy stories, but after this I'm feeling excited about where we're headed again.

Pity about the innards of that Spider-man issue - that IS a sweet cover.