Saturday, April 17, 2010

Comics Roundup for 4/14/10 - plus WonderCon Bonus

Today I'm not just going to write about what I got on Wednesday, but I'm also going to write about some of the comics that I got at WonderCon. Here we go:

The Flash #1 - Even after rereading the entirety of The Flash: Rebirth I still felt a bit underwhelmed, I thought that I'd give the first issue of the ongoing series a try. This was a pretty fun issue, and it's setting things up nicely for the new status quo. I liked the cliffhanger ending, and I think that Francis Manapul is the perfect artist for this series. He does a good job of conveying motion, which is what you need when the series is about the fastest man alive.

Batman and Robin #11 - This was yet another rather linear issue considering that it came from Grant Morrison. This isn't to say that there's not a lot going on, as now I'm starting to think that maybe Oberon Sexton might not be Bruce Wayne. It just seems too easy. Oh, and I also like how Damien's mom has basically gained control of her son's motor functions in order to get him to do some evil.

Superman: Secret Origin #5 (of 6) - Last time, I was lamenting the fact that this series was starting to feel a bit unnecessary. While it had a strong start, the last couple of issues felt too much like they were covering territory that's been covered many times before. This issue manages to mix it up a bit more, as we see a new origin for Metallo along with some expansion on General Lane - the father of Lois Lane who's none too fond of Superman. Not only that, it was simply a solid issue and a lot of fun.

Siege: Loki - To make up for the month-long delay of the last issue of Siege, Marvel is filling the shelves with these Siege one-shot issues. For the most part, they scream "rack filler!" I passed on the Captain America one, and I'll probably pass on the Spider-Man one as well, mainly because the regular writers of their respective books aren't doing those issues. However, I did pick this one up since I noticed that Kieron Gillen, the current Thor writer was doing it. It definitely was a solid read, and we got to see Loki doing some wicked Loki stuff, and he was living up his role as a god who creates chaos for its own sake. The art by Jamie McKelvie was pretty good too.

Daredevil #506 - I recently reread Ed Brubaker's entire run on this series all the way through the recent Andy Diggle issues, so I'm pretty hip to everything that's going on. I don't feel like I have much new to say from the last issue though. It's still a solid-read, and they're doing a good job of raising the stakes every issue, as this time it looks like one of DD's supposed allies is working against him.

Batman #698 - I was worried that Tony Daniel had turned the Riddler bad again, but it seems like he's just made him more enigmatic. (Get it?) He's a bit more creepy, and you can't quite be sure of his motivations. Anyway, this was a decent issue even though Daniel didn't do the art chores for it. (I assume that he's gearing up for the big #700.) There are a lot of twists and turns, so no doubt I'll have to reread this when the next issue comes out.

The Astounding Wolf-Man #22 - I'm wondering what's going to come next once this series finishes. Robert Kirkman said that these characters would move on, but I wonder exactly which ones? Anyway, everything's coming to a head here, and this was yet another issue that ended with a "Oh crap, did that really just happen?" moment at the end that made this series so readable in the first place.

Okay, on to the WonderCon booty:

Testament - This is a telling of various stories from the Old Testament with a variety of well-known artists. I think that this is the sort of thing that anybody but the most fundamentalist of religious types or most closed-minded atheist could read and enjoy. It's respectful of the stories without being preachy, and let's face it - it's a lot more interesting to see this stuff in comics form than to actually read the Old Testament. (And no, I'm not saying that there isn't any good stuff in the OT. There is. But let's face it, a great deal of it is crap as well. Do we really need all those "begats"? Must I know every step that went into making the Ark of the Covenant?

Samson: Judge of Israel - While I suppose that those who are more religiously inclined than I am might find some sort of spiritual feeling with this, it read to me more like a good tragic myth. I guess that speaks a lot to its quality, as just like Testament, both believer and nonbelievers alike can find something worthwhile in it. I've always said that the Samson story is ridiculous if you take it literally. However, if you take it for what it is - mythology - then it's a pretty good story with a lesson that even the godless can learn.

Killraven - I passed up on this when the limited series came out. I guess that's due to the fact that I knew very little about the character, and even though Alan Davis both wrote and drew the series, I just figured that I'd get the collected edition sooner or later. Well, since the hardcover was half-off, how could I resist? This was a pretty solid piece of sci-fi action, and Alan Davis turned in some gorgeous artwork like he normally does. I don't think that I'd follow-up on this character though if he's not involved though. It's kind of like how I bought that big Flash Gordon book because it was all of Al Williamson's stuff. I don't care enough about these kinds of stories unless the writer/artist appeals to me. (It's basically a post-apocalyptic setting where Martians have invaded and enslaved the Earth. Killraven was raised by them for gladiatorial combat, but he gained his freedom and now fights against them.)

True Story: Swear to God - This is another comic that I figured I'd buy one of these days, and I found this in the same half-off bin as Killraven. What's it about? It's about a guy who loves his wife and their relationship. There's more to it than that - like how he adjusts to moving from Napa Valley to Puerto Rico. This was some pretty touching stuff, and I saw some reflections of my relationship with my wife in it. I'm going to put this by her nightstand to see if I can get her to read it, as I think she'll like it if she does.

No comments: