Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Comics Roundup 8/10/11

Detective Comics #881 - Scott Snyder wraps up his run on the title with a satisfactory ending. This storyline, involving the son of Commissioner Gordon as a villain, has had some of the creepiest moments that I've seen in a comic in a long time. Snyder did a great job with Dick Grayson as Batman; I hope he can continue with some solid storytelling using Bruce Wayne in the relaunch of the regular Batman series.

Hellboy: The Fury #3 (of 3) - I really have to stop reading spoilers, as I pretty much knew how this was going to end. The only disappointment? The next arc: "Hellboy in Hell" isn't coming out until 2012. Bummer. Anyway, despite knowing how it would all turn out, this was another solid installment in a long-running story that seems to keep on getting better and better.

War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath #2 (of 2) - I guess I'll find out after the relaunch if this series contributed enough for it to be worth getting. There were some interesting revelations for sure, like how the Guardians actually tried to get the green ring off Sinestro but to no avail. There certainly will be a lot of interesting things to deal with when everything starts up again in September.

The Amazing Spider-Man #667 - The "Spider-Island" story starts here, and I guess it's about as compelling as a story about lots of other people with Spidey's powers can be. There were definitely some interesting character bits when his girlfriend revealed that she had powers. Also, it's nice to see Mary Jane still in the series, and her crack about clones was pretty funny.

The New Avengers #15 - Okay, I guess I kinda think that Squirrel Girl is a pretty cool character. This issue focuses on her in the whole "Fear Itself" saga, and it's a pretty good tie-in. Basically, she's the nanny to the child of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, but it seems like she can actually kick a lot of ass as well. Shoot, I'd like to be able to control an army of squirrels.

Fear Itself #5 (of 7) - The good thing about this crossover is that it's probably one of the more accessible ones to come along in some time. The bad thing is that it just doesn't feel very original or necessary. I guess Marvel set the bar too high starting with Civil War, as pretty much every major event after that built on the one that came before. This one is entertaining enough, but it will probably be forgotten shortly after it's over.

Criminal: The Last of the Innocent #3 - Holy crap, but I love this series. I've liked every other Criminal series, some more than others, but this one is easily my favorite, and I'm willing to say that even though I haven't seen the ending. Definitely some interesting plot twists in this one, and the cliffhanger's pretty good too.

No comments: