Monday, November 14, 2011

Comics Roundup for 11/9/11

Batgirl #3 - This series has been one of the most pleasant surprises of all the rebooted DC Comics.  I expected to like it enough to give it a shot, but I didn't realize that it would become a favorite.  Gail Simone is doing a great job of making Barbara's former handicap and subsequent "miracle" healing matter to the overall storyline and to the emotion of the character.  Plus, it's always nice to see Nightwing interact with her.

Wolverine #18 - I mentioned with the last issue how the tone of this book has really changed.  It went from pretty dark stuff to madcap high adventure.  I like both styles, but I still wish that there was more transition from one to the other.  Still, this remains one of the longest runs that I've continued to get on Wolverine's solo title.

Green Lantern #3 - Geoff Johns is doing a pretty good job of continuing with everything he's built with this title, but I think that it's still pretty user-friendly to new readers.  Sinestro continues to be a great villain, and there are some good plot twists that make me want to check out the next issue.

The Avenging Spider-Man #1 - I guess it was only a matter of time before they launched a new Spidey title, and a new twist on the old Marvel Team-Up at that.  Believe it or not, this is my first comic that I"ve ever bought with Joe Maduriera on the artistic duties.  I'm not a huge fan, but he's pretty good at putting together the story.  The story was pretty fun as well, so I'll probably check out the next issue.

Batwoman #3 - I don't have much to say other than the fact that I'm still enjoying this series and I look forward to the next issue.  I also appreciated the recap of her past on the first page, and I think they're doing a good job of incorporating the character's sexuality into her personality without it feeling exploitative.

The New Avengers #18 - Norman Osborn assembles his new Dark Avengers.  Most of these characters I don't know very well.  Hopefully the story can start moving forward with the next issue, as I feel like the setup is overly long on this one.

Batman and Robin #3 - Just like the last two issues, I really enjoyed this one.  I think that Peter Tomasi is doing a fine job of making sure that the relationship between these two characters the centerpiece of this title instead of it just happening to have both characters in it.

Huntress #1 & 2 (of 6) - I bought these because I like the character, liked the art when I flipped through it, and was glad to see that they restored her to her original costume (more or less).  I always thought that Jim Lee's revamped version in Hush was kind of lame, as it was the "more skin = better" school of thought.  Anyway, the story is fine, but I'm reading too many comics right now, and I don't feel compelled to pick up the next four issues.

No comments: