Thursday, May 3, 2012

Comics Roundup for 5/2/12

I've heard more than once from somebody that he or she reads my blog "with the exception of the comics stuff".  But every now and then, somebody actually tells me that he or she reads the Comics Roundup.  Sometimes that makes me feel obligated to write more thorough reviews/critiques.  But then again, if these weren't good enough, then why would they be reading them?  As I've stated before, the purpose of this is to get me to think about my comics purchases, as I sometimes keep getting some stuff out of habit.  If I hate it and have to write about it, I'm less likely to keep getting it.  This also explains why you don't find a lot of negative comments, as when I stop liking it, I stop getting it.  Anyway, here's what I got this week:

Avengers Versus X-Men #3 - I'm enjoying this series quite a bit.  I believe that I said before that the whole idea for this series seemed like perhaps Marvel was running out of ideas for events, but so long as it was entertaining, I didn't mind.  The further we get into this, the more I realize that Marvel did it not just because it's such an obvious crossover, but it's really ripe for all kinds of conflicts.  Basically, it's not just Avengers fighting X-Men and that's that.  With this issue, the whole Avenger/X-Man situation with Wolverine has just gotten a lot more complicated, and I'm thinking that this might be a bit more of a Avengers versus X-Men versus Wolverine and the mutants who are loyal to him.  He's definitely got his own agenda going on here.

The Amazing Spider-Man #685 - Quite a cliffhanger here, and we're only halfway through?  Anyway, like always - not much to say, just a fun read that leaves me wanting more.

Daredevil #12 - Matt Murdock is dating again.  What can possibly go wrong?  Anyway, no DD in this issue, as it's mostly a flashback to his college days with Foggy Nelson.  Did I mind?  Absolutely not, as it's another solid issue in yet another series where I just can't bring myself to repeat the reasons why I like it.

Earth 2 #1 - I dropped a few "New 52" books by now, and with this "Second Wave" I'm only interested in a couple of the new titles - this being one of them.  I don't know if I can see myself getting this title long-term, but I'm intrigued enough to pick up the next issue.  Basically, this is DC reviving the old "Earth 2" concept, but doing it in a completely new way.  We get introduced to the Golden Age Green Lantern and Flash, but they're not a whole lot like the versions that we've known for some time now.  Since I was never that big of a fan of the Golden Age heroes, I say why not?  They could just keep doing the same thing or try something new, and if this doesn't pan out, then this Earth can get destroyed and we'll find some other Earth that's more to the liking of the fans.

No comments: