The first day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore...
Just kidding, of course. (Cheech and Chong reference there, folks.)
So, tomorrow I return to work. My stomach is acting up, and I've been feeling anxious all week. I figure if I'm still doing this by my eighth year, then it's always going to happen. Anyway, I didn't work summer school, but I was determined to get some stuff done. I don't feel like I did a lot, but perhaps if I write it all down, I'll feel differently:
1. I took an art class. (And the units will bump me up on the pay scale at work).
2. I wrote the first draft of a novel (about 80,000 words - I imagine the rewrite will add another 10-20,000.)
3. I read some books, including: King Lear, The Crucible, The Stranger, Jesus & Yahweh, and the first couple chapters of Heavy Metal Islam.
4. I went up to Redding to see my dad, and I went up to Mt. Lassen.
5. I went on a cruise to Catalina Island and Ensenada, Mexico.
6. I finished some independent work that will get me bumped up on the pay scale (in conjuction with item #1 that is - I'm not jumping up two sections, just one.)
7. I walked my dog, Argos, to the park nearly every day.
8. I got together with my friends nearly every week so we could read each other's writing and discuss it.
Okay, there's probably more, but that was enough to make me think that I wasn't wasting my time.