Friday, January 1, 2010

Egg! - Romanov Tercentenary

Faberge Egg-A-Day month kicks off with one that I was tempted to save for last, but I thought that I'd go ahead and start off with my favorite one. And if you read the title of this entry, you know that it's the Romanov Tercentenary, which Tsar Nicholas II presented to his wife in 1913.

I'm not quite sure what it is about this one that makes it my favorite. Is it the gold? The silver? The fact that there are eighteen portraits of Romanov Tsars? It's really hard to say, but if you just look at the thing, you can really tell why it's awesome.

One time, while having a conversation with Nolan, he insisted that the Romanov Tercentenary was inferior to the Alexander Palace Egg. Now, I realize that many things in life are subjective, and everybody has their favorite Faberge Egg. Still, how stupid does this guy have to be? He wouldn't know a quality Faberge Egg from a cuckoo's egg. I told him that he was an idiot for having that opinion, and I have refused to speak to him since. As for Scott, I just kind of pity him, as he simply said, "Mmmm...eggs! Me likey omelettes!"

That's it for today. Tomorrow...The Twelve Monograms!

2 comments:

Andrew Nolan said...

Romanov Tercentenary my ass. I keep telling you, it's all about the Alexander Palace! You nincompoop.

Anonymous said...

It is a pity, that now I can not express - I am late for a meeting. But I will return - I will necessarily write that I think on this question.