Thursday, August 12, 2010

Comics Roundup for 8/11/10

This is what will likely be my last Comics Roundup before becoming a father. Hopefully fatherhood won't prevent me from continuing this assessment of what I'm reading every month.

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #2 (of 4) - I don't know if there has ever been an issue where Steve Rogers reverts to his "weakling" pre-super soldier serum self, but it seems like a bit of a no-brainer of a plot device. That's basically what we wind up with at the end of this issue, and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with it. I have to say that Dale Eaglesham's art isn't doing it for me in this issue, although it's not distracting enough to stop reading it. Oftentimes his characters look kind of out of proportion.

The Astounding Wolf-Man #24 - I'm glad that this is the penultimate issue not so much because I haven't been enjoying this series, but I'm tired of essentially writing the same review over and over again. Everything is definitely coming to a head here, and all of the various plot points are converging. Let's hope it all ties together nicely for the last installment.

The Walking Dead: Volume 12: Life Among Them - I devoured this trade paperback in one sitting just like I always do when a new volume comes out. There certainly was a lot more going on in this one than the last as far as the plot goes. Also, I realized something while I was thinking about it afterward - Rick and his group are no longer the "good" guys. It's not that they have evil intentions, but this new life amongst the dead has changed them to the point where it's getting hard to justify their decisions. In this volume, they have a chance to live in a walled-off community, but they've seen that before. However, this one seems a bit more genuine and friendly than the one run by "The Governor". Still, their justifiable suspicious nature is going to get them in trouble.

The Marvels Project - Why would I pass up a series by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting, the very same team that brought me my absolute favorite run on Captain America? Maybe it's because I knew that it would all be collected in a really nice hardcover like this one, and I preferred to get it that way. I've gotta say, I'm glad I picked it up. While it covers some of the same territory that Marvels did, it gives a nice history of Marvel's Golden Age of superheroes. I have to wonder now that Brubaker has used The Angel, and there were twelve other Golden Age characters used for The Twelve, are there any of these characters left that they haven't mined for new stories? Time will tell, I suppose.

No comments: