Friday, August 17, 2012

The Marvel Non-Relaunch

I was going to make this part of my previous post, where I reflected on DC's New 52 relaunch, but I figured it deserved its own entry.  Turns out Marvel has finally announced its answer to the New 52, and it's a non-reboot but an opportunity to launch a bunch of new titles.  Unlike DC, which canceled everything and started everything over again all at once, this is a more gradual relaunching of titles.  Also, much like DC's relaunch, this comes right after a major crossover story, the events of which carry right over into the new titles.

Maybe I'm falling into Marvel's master plan, but I'm thinking that I want to pick up the first issue of pretty much all of these titles.  I'm not sure how long I'll stick with them, but here's what I'm thinking about the characters and the new creative teams so far:

Uncanny Avengers - I haven't read much of Rick Remender's stuff, so I don't have much of an opinion of his work.  However, with John Cassady on art, that's enough for me to check it out.  I also like the concept.  For years now, the Marvel Universe has been feeling much more connected, and as a fan, I like that.  Unfortunately, the X-Men still seemed to inhabit their own little world, and I wasn't really getting any of those titles even though I'm a longtime fan of a lot of those characters.  By actively including some X-Men into the Avengers, we should really get something interesting here.  Hopefully Remender is up to the task of maximizing this potential.

All-New X-Men - Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen have produced some of my favorite comics over the past few years.  That's enough reason for me to pick this up.

Avengers and New Avengers - I'm most skeptical about this one, as I just haven't been able to get into anything that Jonathan Hickman has written.  I know that he has his fans, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Iron Man - Kieron Gillen has written some really good stuff, and now that they're giving him a major character for him to do his thing with, I'm hoping that we'll see something great from this series.  I don't have a whole lot of Iron Man represented in my collection, but here's hoping that this will change that.

Thor: God of Thunder - Jason Aaron has written some pretty entertaining stuff over the past couple of years, and I like the epic-scale he's using to approach this very epic character.  Should be interesting.

Deadpool - Okay, I've never been that big of a fan of this character, so I guess this is one that I'll skip.

Fantastic Four and FF - I've never been a huge Matt Fraction fan, but I think that I'll at least give Fantastic Four a try, as I've liked what I've heard about what he's planning for this title.

Captain America - Cap is one of my favorite characters, and I pretty much get the first issue whenever there's a new creative team.  It's hard to keep that in mind, as I've stuck with Ed Brubaker's entire run.  Still, even though I'm not that familiar with Remender's stuff, this will be no different.  Just like a lot of the other titles, I've liked what I've had to hear about his plans for the title.  The best bit of news is that he's going to leave the WWII stuff alone, as it's been done to death.  Instead, we'll be looking at other aspects of Steve Rogers' past, including his time during the Depression.  Sounds like it's got some potential.

Indestructible Hulk - Mark Waid and Leinil Yu?  'Nuff said.  I'm all over this one, and it's the one that I'm looking forward to the most.  Let's hope that it's not the one that disappoints me the most, as was Superman and the DC relaunch.

No comments: