Thursday, May 29, 2008

Always on the cutting edge...

Okay, I realize that this "controversy" has been beaten into the ground , and everybody was really interested in it about three weeks ago, but what's up with the whole Miley Cyrus photo hysteria?

I'm not sure where I first saw it, but it might have been in the paper, on TV, or online - who knows - maybe all three? Anyway, I was just checking out some blogs and this one fundamentalist Christian guy was all in an uproar about it.

Is it me, or are those pictures not a big deal? Yeah, I know, she's a minor (I think, anyway). Yeah, she's not wearing a shirt. Still, I don't find anything titillating or particularly sexual about these photos. She is holding a towel over her - but hardly in a suggestive sort of a way. I remember years ago there was a photo spread of Britney Spears, when she was still a minior, in Rolling Stone. That one made me feel pretty uneasy, because even though she had more clothes on, she was in a suggestive position and her clothes were rather tight on her. (I'm going from memory here, and I don't feel like looking them up.) Now, I could see people getting offended at that (allthough the uproar over these things is usually disproportionate to the problem). But the Miley Cyrus thing? I don't think that there's anything suggestive about it. I mean, you'd see a lot more if you saw her at the beach, wouldn't you?

I have to wonder about this, as I think it says more about the people who got all up in a fuss about it than it does about her or the photographer, Annie Liebowitz. Also, I wouldn't have ever seen this in the first place if there wasn't such an uproar about it. I mean, I realize that she's popular with the kids nowadays, so it's probably safe to say that there are several magazines on the stands right now that have her picture in them, and I have no idea what those look like.

I mean, don't get me wrong. If I had a teenage daughter, that wouldn't be my idea of how she should pose for a photo. Still, I couldn't see myself getting mad about it - just so long as she had agreed to it without being coerced in any way.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being naive. I was going to post the photo myself, but just google Miley Cyrus and Annie Liebowitz and I'm sure you'll find it - assuming that you've been living in a cave on Mars the past month.

No comments: