Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dead American Idol Fan Haiku (with blog)

Paula Abdul saw
a crazed fan dead on the ground.
Could see it coming.

I'm not really a fan of American Idol. Kirsti watches it, but that's because she's more of a fan of vocalists than I am. I'm more of a fan of music in a more general sense. The kind of talent that comes out of that show, while I can appreciate on some level, really just doesn't do it for me. I think that I watched about half of the first season, all of the second, half of the third, and then only bits and pieces after that.

The one part of the show that I continued to watch even when I gave up on it in general was the beginning. You know, where all the crappy, deluded singers try out and get laughed out of the building. It's like watching a train wreck - you just can't keep your eyes off of it. (There's also a lot of that on So You Think You Can Dance? - a show that I like a bit more than Idol - must be all those women with their dancer legs or something.)

A few years ago though, I just had to stop watching even that part. Something about it just made me feel dirty - like I was delighting in the pain of others - schadenfreude, if you will. It started to occur to me that a lot of these rejects were probably people with mental conditions and/or special needs. They were deluded, but for many of them, it might not have been solely out of a general sense of cluelessness. It started to feel like I was laughing at a guy in a wheelchair trying to climb the stairs.

So, I don't watch it at all anymore. Now this whole thing with this one Idol reject who killed herself in front of Paula Abdul's house has only confirmed how I already feel. This obviously was a person who was suffering from some sort of mental problems, and America (maybe even I as well) laughed at her.

Kinda sad, isn't it? Maybe they should just focus on the talented people from now on? All the rejects can make the cutting room floor.

No comments: