Saturday, October 4, 2008

Curse of the comics collection

I've been putting off writing my blog today, as I've spent a good chunk of my time going through my comic book collection. The thing is, I've been collecting for more than 20 years now, so that adds up to quite a collection - despite the fact that over the past several years I've probably gotten rid of at least 1,500 of them. Still, the collection just grows and grows, and I'm always looking for a new way to save some space.

Never one to figure something out right away, I recently discovered that a large bulk of the volume of my collection, aside from the comics, are the individual bags for each one - and even moreso, individual backboards for each comic. While I'm not as anal-retentive as some comics fans are, I do like to keep them looking nice, and the bag and board helps to accomplish this.

Anyway, what I figured out is that if I got Silver Age sized bags, I could fit between 6-8 comics in each bag, and then only have one board for all of them. This might not sound like a big deal, but when the collection numbers in the thousands, I've probably saved about 15-20 feet of space just by doing this. Even though I have bought a lot of comics in the past few years, my collection now takes up considerably less space than it used to do.

So, they're all re-bagged now, but now I have to get them all back up on the shelf. I might be up a little later than normal tonight, because once I get an idea in my head to do something, I rarely stop until it's finished.

No comments: