Saturday, October 11, 2008

Tacky-o-rama


Looks like the holidays are coming up again, and that can only mean one thing - tacky lawn crap.

Now, I'm not against decorating the front of your house for the holidays. There is one house on my block where the owner decorates for Halloween and Christmas. They really go all-out, and you can tell that they spend a lot of time on it. For instance, the front window has a Halloween display with cobwebs, pumpkins, and even a life-size Spider-Man (that I will steal eventually). During Christmas, they weave lights throughout the plants in the front, and there's a little display with a snowman along with Santa and his reindeer. It's cheery without being overbearing or gaudy.

What I can't stand is the crap that people put on their front lawns that shows that they didn't take any time whatsoever to do their decorating. I'm referring to those big inflatable snowmen, snowglobes, Santa Clauses, etcetera (and even a big turkey for Thanksgiving). How much effort does it take to just plop that big piece of crap on your lawn? Not much, I'd reckon.

Because let's face it, they don't even look that good. They're tacky and all I see are a bunch of eyesores around my neighborhood when I see those things. There's one house where they have a ton of them, and they even put them up on top of the roof. (Okay, I guess that takes a little bit of effort, I suppose.)

A few years ago, Kirsti and I did a little online window shopping just to see how much people are even paying for these things. The cheapest ones we saw were around $50! Some were around $150! Holy crap! What a way to announce to the neighborhood that not only do you have bad taste, but you also have too much money on your hands.

One of these years, I'm going to go around popping those damned things.

No comments: