Friday, March 7, 2008

Jazz!

I've mentioned to people over the past few months that I've been "getting into jazz." I'm starting to realize that's not really an accurate statement. I'm listening to jazz. I'm enjoying jazz. I'm not really getting into it though. What I mean is, I'm not entirely sure that I get it and appreciate it for all that it's worth.

It probably has to do with the fact that I don't have the same enthusiasm for music that I did when I was in high school and college. Back then, I'd really get into something, like The Beatles, and learn as much about it as I could. I'm a little bit past that, as I don't have as much time to just sit and listen to music anymore. I mainly listen to music when I'm driving or when I'm cooking.

So, what jazz have I been listening to? I got a boxed set that spans the decades of jazz, and the first two discs are my favorite. The really old stuff is what does it for me. I also bought a few Coltrane cds, and I enjoy them thoroughly. Along with that, there's a Dizzy Gillespie cd and a Miles Davis one that I like.

The thing is, I think that you could put any of them in and I wouldn't necessarily know who's who. I mean, if I paid attention, I could tell Davis from Coltrane, as I know the difference between a sax and trumpet...at least, I think that I do.

One thing's for sure, it all does make me realize just how much ass Kenny G sucks.

So, I'm listening to some jazz. I like it, but I'm hardly an informed jazz listener, and I'm not really somebody who could give you any good advice on what to listen to. I think that it's the kind of music where people who know a lot about music in general are more likely to fully appreciate. I mean, I've taken a class on jazz history, and I know that there's a lot to know about it, and I know that most jazz fans aren't just blowing hot air when they talk about its complexities.

I guess there's nothing wrong with being a somewhat of a passive fan of something. Maybe one day I'll hear a particular piece of music and it'll finally hit me just what it is that makes it all so great. Until then, it makes the time go by more pleasantly while I'm doing other stuff.

No comments: