Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ramadan It! - Day 7

Wow...a whole week into this already? While I'm hardly toughing it out the way many Muslims currently are, I am proud of myself. After all, if you read my first post on this, I was willing to let the bar drop pretty low. I haven't had to do that though, and I made it until 6 today until I ate. Not only that, but I went to a Chinese restaurant with coworkers and had to watch everybody eat while I just drank water. It was kind of hard, but not nearly as bad as I feared.

The one thing that's getting to me is that I'm pretty dehydrated. Even though I'm allowing myself to have water, I'm still pretty dehydrated. I'm stopping ice tea (which I've only had at night) as I think that's not helping. So, just water and fruit juice for me. I think that the problem is that when I eat I probably absorb some water from my food, and then I usually have a glass or two of some sort of beverage. Since I'm probably taking in less water, and sweating out a fair amount due to the heat, it's pretty easy to identify why I'm dehydrated. What are my symptoms? My back and my guts are fairly achy. (I did some research, and those can be reactions to fasting and/or dehydration. Maybe I have something else wrong with me?)

I also weighed myself this morning, and I seem to have lost about five pounds. I expect to lose more, as now I eat a reasonable amount for dinner, but I seem to be losing my desire to have something sweet after my meal. I still have some of that apple crumb cake in the fridge, and it doesn't seem appealing at all. Fresh fruit sounds appealing though. I ought to get some tomorrow.

3 comments:

Andrew Nolan said...

You should sue that incompetent water for putting food and two bowls of soup in front of you.

Or perhaps he was sent by Allah to test your fortitude? I've heard God works in mysterious ways...

Anonymous said...

AWESOME

Lance Christian Johnson said...

Took me a second to realize you meant "waiter".

And yeah. I'm suing him. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure that there's pork in that soup.