Friday, October 16, 2009

Comics Roundup for 10/14/09

Slow week, but here's what I got:

Web of Spider-Man #1 - Back when I first started reading comics, it was cool to be picking up Web of Spider-Man as it was the newest of the Spider-Man series. I think that my first issue was #17, so it felt like I wasn't as far behind as I was with The Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man. Well, looks like they're bringing "Web" back, but this is more of a fill-in-the-blanks type of series. This one gives the backstory to why Kaine is free again. Normally, I can't stand stories where it's "all in his head", but this was pretty good. It's also nice to see that Spider-Girl is taking the spot of the backup story, which justifies the higher cover price.



The Astounding Wolf-Man #19 - This can be a pretty dark series when it wants to be, but this was a pretty straightforward superhero adventure. Wolf-Man has had so many lows, that it was cool to see him defeat a giant monster and come out as a hero that the public loves. I know that the series ends in a few issues, and I hope that they give him a happy ending - he deserves it.

Blackest Night: Batman #3 of 3 - I really enjoyed this series, but the ending felt a little weak to me. Oh well, if the rest is good, then it was worth the ride. Personally, I felt like it could have gone on another issue, as it started to add another interesting layer by getting Etrigan, The Demon, involved in this whole mess. Also, I wanted more about what was going on with Deadman. Oh well, maybe the main miniseries will tackle that issue.

Batman #691 - This marks the end of Judd Winick and Mark Bagley's current run on the series. It definitely was a fun ride, and I know that Winick is coming back eventually. Hopefully he'll pick up where he left off, as this issue ended on a pretty compelling cliffhanger.



Hellboy: The Wild Hunt #7 of 8 - As I've stated before, I'm waiting for the whole series to come out before I read it all in one sitting. I read an interview with Mike Mignola recently where he said that he was going to go back to comics full-time. That's awesome, and I hope that the next Hellboy series will be drawn by him (even though Duncan Fegredo is really good - hopefully he'll get something else that's cool for him to work on.)

No comments: