Friday, October 9, 2009

Comics Roundup for 10/7/09

I'll start with a warning that my last entry contains a spoiler for the latest issue of The Amazing Spider-Man. With that out of the way, here goes:

Planetary #27 - When did the last issue of this series come out? A year ago? I could look it up, but let's just say that this series has really taken its time, and here's the final issue. I actually tried to read through the whole series some time back, and the only thing that stopped me is the fact that I'm missing an issue - which really annoys me since back issues are so hard to come by. It'd probably be cheaper to buy the trade paperback that collects my missing issue than the missing issue itself. Anyway, I don't know when, but I'll get around to re-reading the whole series again. Until then, all I did was flip through this, and John Cassady's art looks awesome like usual.



Daredevil #501 - Andy Diggle's first regular issue as the new writer is a good one. I can't say that I'm a big fan of artist Robert De La Torre, but his work isn't so bad that it's distracting. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I pay attention to who's writing the books, I don't think that I would have noticed that the series has a new writer. This is definitely a good thing, and I know that I'm going to keep coming back. Daredevil is definitely in a situation that he's never been in before, as he's now the leader of The Hand - an organization of ninja assassins that up until this time has been amongst his enemies. Let's see if he can use this new power to actually do some good.

Criminal: The Sinners #1 - It's good to see this crime comic back on the stands. I also have to say that this has one of the strongest openings of any of Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips' on-again, off-again series. Anybody who likes film noir and comics should pick this up. In this series, there's a hitman with a conscience, and he researches all of his hits before doing the job - which means that some people don't die. This, of course, doesn't endear him to the local crime boss, but he's too good at what he does for his boss to just let him go.



Batman and Robin #5 - What happens when superheroes start to fight crime? You wind up with supervillains. What happens when superheroes like The Red Hood start to fight crime in a much more violent and ruthless fashion? You get supervillains who raise the stakes. That's the premise, and it's an intriguing one.



The Amazing Spider-Man #608 - It's official - the Clone Saga is no longer anathema to Spider-Man comics. Not only do they have the "director's cut" Clone Saga series, but this issue deals with Ben Reilly, the late clone of Peter Parker in such a way that hasn't been dealt with since the clone saga ended. Not only that, but Kaine is back. I suppose that I shouldn't find that to be so shocking considering what's been going on, but it was cool to see him on the last page. As I've said before, there was a lot of good stuff during the Clone Saga, even though overall it turned into a piece of crap. Why not bring back the good stuff?

3 comments:

Kaboom32 said...

How come your comic's roundup doesn't get a Stan Lee Challenge title? Even if it isn't your official Blog-A-Day entry, perhaps is should be called Lance's Soapbox or something?

Lance Christian Johnson said...

Hmmm...I don't know. I guess it's because it pre-dated the Stan Lee Challenge. I wanted it to be consistent with my other blog entries of the same name.

Kaboom32 said...

I accept that response.