Friday, October 23, 2009

Comics Roundup for 10/21/09

The Amazing Spider-Man #609 - Now that Kaine is back, is it only a matter of time before they bring back Ben Reilly? Last time I saw, he pretty much melted in the arms of Peter Parker, so you gotta wonder how they'd pull of that trick. Anyway, this issue is mostly one big fight scene, but there is some fun developments between Peter and his roommate, Michelle. That's certainly a storyline that could not have been done with a married Peter Parker. (Yes, that means that they've made the beast with two backs. And one of those times, it was really The Chameleon!)



Adventure Comics #3 - I hear that Geoff Johns is only going to be on this book for a few more issues. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll keep getting it after then. I'm still so surprised that I keep coming back to it, but after I'm done with every issue, I keep saying, "Yeah, that was good." I never thought I'd say that about a Superboy comic. Anyway, I think what makes Johns' work stand out is that it's always grounded in character, and that's the kind of stuff I like. Plus, it was nice to see him reunite with Tim Drake/Robin in this one.

Spider-Woman #2 - Okay, I'll be back for the third issue. This was a fun read, and Alex Maleev is a great artist. There certainly is a lot that can be done with this character, and I hope that this series can live up to that potential.



Batman: Streets of Gotham #5 - This issue focused on The Huntress, who I've always liked. (And I still think that her previous costume was much better than what she currently wears.) That was cool enough on its own, but this also had a subplot about a priest who starts out idealistic but then goes totally evil. What's not to like about that?

Justice League of America #38 - This series was easily one of my favorites back when Grant Morrison was writing it years and years ago. I've tried picking it up again for its various reboots, and I've always been disappointed. What did I think of this one? It was okay. The next issue is a Blackest Night tie-in, so I'll check that out. I like James Robinson's writing, and I like Mark Bagley's art. I'll give this one a few issues before I make up my mind.

Dark Avengers #10 - This was a great issue, and it's good to see that Brian Michael Bendis is running with the ball that Warren Ellis started with Norman Osborn in Thunderbolts. The man is crazy with a split personality, and I'm eagerly awaiting for the moment when he cracks yet again. Not only that, but there was some great character interaction in this one, and the threat they're facing seems pretty cool. The next issue can't come soon enough.

No comments: