Saturday, September 12, 2009

Comics Roundup for 9/10/09

No, I didn't forget about this last week. There were only two comics out that I wanted, and since I was dealing with the first week back at work, I didn't bother to go. It's a little later than usual today because the comics were delayed a day, and with work it takes me a bit longer to get through them. (Beatles Rock Band also took up some of my time.)



Kick-Ass #7 - I've been doing this Comics Roundup thing for a while now, but I don't think that I've ever written about this series. I guess that it's been a while since the last issue. The good thing about this series is that I was able to get right back into the story without missing a beat. This is some pretty twisted stuff, as it's another one of those "what if people really tried to be superheroes" stories, and it's a pretty fun read with a new twist on that old idea. Another thing is that John Romita, Jr.'s art is much stronger than his recent Spider-Man stuff. I wonder if it's because he has Tom Palmer on inks on this series. Maybe Klaus Janson isn't a good fit for him anymore.



Avengers: The List - This could have easily been a regular issue of New Avengers, but I didn't mind picking up an extra book, as it's some pretty good stuff. It starts off with the heroes debating what to do about Norman Osborn, with Hawkeye being the only one who's sure that Osborn should be killed. He eventually goes out to take him down on his own, with some pretty disasterous results. I'm eager for more, and I can't wait to see how this over-arching story finally gets resolved.

Hellboy: The Wild Hunt #6 of 8 - I'm waiting for the whole series to come out before I sit down and read it all the way through. I flipped through this one though, and it's making me really look forward to that. I'm sorry to see that Mike Mignola isn't drawing this series himself, but Duncan Fegredo is a nice substitute. The colors by Dave Stewart are really nicely done as well.

Adventure Comics #2 - I guess that this book could also be called "Superboy Team-Up". I mentioned with the first issue that I only picked it up because Geoff Johns was writing it, and I didn't really ever care that much for the character. Well, I fully expected to be writing that this would be my last issue of this series, but guess what? It's a thoroughly compelling read, and the character bits between him and Wonder Girl are really nicely done. Johns has also capitalized on the one thing that's ripe for drama about this incarnation of Superboy - he's cloned from both Superman AND Lex Luthor. That could mess with a guy's head. I'm definitely back for the next issue. Oh, and the Legion of Superheroes backup wasn't bad either.

Trojan War #5 of 5 - Everything in this issue felt really rushed - especially considering the fact that the story of Agamemnon's murder at the hands of the man who was boinking his wife while was away only got one page. Oh well, I thoroughly enjoyed this telling of the non-Homeric Trojan War stories, and the last issue being a bit of a bum note doesn't ruin the rest of the series for me.

The Amazing Spider-Man #604 - I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Mary Jane is a lot more interesting than she has been in some time. Supposedly next issue will fill in some of the gaps as to what she's been up to between "One More Day" and "Brand New Day". Also, this issue dealt nicely with the fallout of The Chameleon having impersonated Peter. Basically, lots of people are ticked off at him, and as of right now, he has no idea why.

Blackest Night - Batman #2 of 3 - I was worried that I'd regret getting this series, as these sorts of spinoffs tend to just be a way to sucker fans into buying even more books. Well, that may have very well been the intention, but this is still a really fun read. The Black Lanterns still seem pretty damned unstoppable, and I look forward to seeing how a non-powered hero like Batman deals with them in the next issue.



Batman #690 - I just noticed the number of this issue. Is Bruce Wayne going to return for #700? I'd be shocked if he didn't, but in the meantime I'm still enjoying seeing Dick Grayson as Batman. The current creative team has one more issue, and I'm hoping that Tony Daniel keeps me interested enough for me to stick around after that.

Thor: Tales of Asgard #5 of 6 - As always, it's reprinting Stan Lee and Jack Kirby backup stories featuring their unique take on the Norse gods. 'Nuff said.

No comments: